Thursday, April 14, 2005

IMing in the Classroom

A friend of mine who I used to work with at a prestigious Northwest DC private school introduced me to Blogs a long time ago. That introduction started me on this journey in the Blogosphere. He sent me a link yesterday about Instant Messaging in the Law School classroom. I leaped for joy when I read it.

If you are in a classroom with digital natives (kids born after the evolution of the WWW--they are 15 now) each with his or her own laptop computing device they are going to instant message. YOU CAN'T STOP IT! The Catholic Church couldn't stop the printing press and you won't stop IMing.

I challenge you not to figure out ways to prevent Instant Messaging, or social software, from being used in in your laptop classroom but to invent ways to use it in your classroom to help you build a learning community. Read the article and take off from there. I would love to know what you come up with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home